Thursday, June 18, 2009

Road Biking Hazards

Well, I finally rode further than 3.6 miles on my road bike.  No blowing tires today!  We tried the same loop as our first attempt but with better success today.

Gottland Shoals Road was where I blew my tire on our last ride.  Andy didn't want to take that road, but I convinced him otherwise.  It was a tree-lined, winding, hill down to the river (and then back up).    Very pretty road.  Worth the risk of doing it again!

One of the things that I've read is that one of the greatest hazards for road bikers in this area are animals - wildlife or loose dogs.  Now we understand.  In one 19-mile ride we encountered deer in the road; a loose dog who refused to get out of the road - funny enough, he moved out of our lane and blocked on-coming traffic instead; but what almost took me down was a rooster.  Yes, a rooster.  How could I explain to my friends in Ft Lauderdale that I was knocked off my bike by a rooster??? 

I also have more respect for downhills now.  Dorota, I have to thank you for putting a little fear in me.  I still "woo-hoo" on my way down, but I'm braking more than I have in the past.  There are too many curves, bad pavement areas, wet leaves, loose gravel, and animals for taking these hills too carefree.  A little fear is a good thing.

No comments: