Monday, April 06, 2009

St Augustine, FL - Enjoying the Town

We had a lovely time yesterday strolling the old streets of St Augustine.  We started off at the fort - Castillo de San Marcos.  Although Andy and I have been to the fort before, we had never seen the cannon fire display.  I probably wouldn't have known about it if Glenn didn't tell us to expect it.  I'm not quite sure how intimidated the enemy would be with the drawn out presentation and commands, but it was an interesting show to watch nonetheless.

After the three of us had lunch together, Glenn needed to depart, leaving Andy and I to walk down cobblestone St George Street by ourselves.  Eventhough the shops are inviting, I enjoy the architecture of the buildings and I am always searching for the wonderful, small details that exist everywhere.

Flagler College and the Lightner Museum were two of my favorite surprises.  We've walked past these buildings before, but never ventured into the courtyards and lobbies.  They are worth the extra time. 

On our return walk we stumbled upon the Memorial Presbyterian Church before continuing to our car and home.

Click on any of the pictures to enlarge and go to WebAlbums to see many more photos from our day.

No comments: