Monday, June 16, 2014

A Rock in the Nose

Soooo...last Thursday, Elizabeth mentions that she found a rock at the playground at school and in order to keep it away from her friends, she hid it....in her nose.  You might know what it's like to hear something like this from a three-year-old and when you pepper them with questions you got nonsensical answers, right?  Well, I shined a flashlight up her nose and didn't see anything so I dropped it.

She didn't.

She talked about this rock for days.  Then last night she mentioned it again, how she could roll it around with her finger.  Yuk, I know.  When she woke up this morning with a bloody nose, I knew something was wrong.  A closer inspection with a flashlight did indeed show something dark in her nostril.  Deep.

I called the doctor's office and they told me to try and blow it out, via her mouth.  I did some "CPR" breaths to try and push it out...about 10 times.  She thought it was funny.  It "worked" on her stuffed elephant, Bodie, when I showed her what we were going to do, but it only pushed the rock to about mid-point (due to the inflammation I believe).  So off to the doctor's we went.

She was a real trooper.  A good, brave girl with a little tears, a little crying, and thankfully only a little blood.  It took the doc 4 tries with two different instruments to get it out.


The doctor offered it up as a keepsake.  No wonder she wanted to hide it...it was a pretty little quartz rock.  Or, maybe not so little.  Ouch.

No comments: