Thursday, July 02, 2009

Grassy Creek Wildlife Foundation

During my run I came across a baby cardinal - just sitting in the middle of the road.  He wasn't well, I could see that.  I placed him out of harm's way, and then picked him up again on my return trip.  I had hoped the cardinal family at my feeder would take him in.  Nope.

I found the closest wildlife care center.  Unfortunately it was a 55 minute drive.  Not only didn't I have the time to go out and back before work, but I really didn't think he was going to survive the next 10 minutes.

Needless to say, some just have a will to survive.  The next morning he appeared to be more feisty, although possibly blind and deaf.  So I took him to Grassy Creek Wildlife Foundation in Rogersville.  He had a better chance of survival with her than me force-feeding the little thing.

I have so much respect for people who are so committed (emotionally and financially) to such a cause.  Freda runs the non-profit from her home.  GCWF is at 364 Grassy Creek Road, Rogersville, TN  37857, Phone:  423-272-5535.  I don't think she has a website (but was recommended by Bay's Mountain Park).  If you're ever looking for a place to donate money, time, or goods please keep these Wildlife care centers in mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to take that little bird to Fredia. I have been a friend of Fredia's and I help with the wild life. She does not have a website, because she does not have money for a computer. Fredia is on fixed income and donation for help with the wild life are few and far...inbetween. Unfortanly she does not get the donations she needs and spends out of her own pocket to feed and care for them. A lot of work needs to be done to improve the units where the animals are cared for. My husband and I have done a lot of work ourselves, but much more is badly needed. Fredia cares for wild life for all surrounding countys. Not just Hawkins. I urge folks to donate to Grassy Creek. She is a non-proffet and you can get a tax right off. Also bulding materials can be donated, such a 2x4's, plywood, insulation, tin and such. Call Fredia at 423-272-5535 or send a donation to Grassy Creek Wildlife Foundation, Rogersville, TN. 37857. Thanks Everyone, our wild animals needs our help. Donna Mickles

Diane said...

thanks for adding more information!