Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Skype Me!

We decided not to reactivate our landline phone service. We decided to try a VOIP service instead. After a little bit of research, we chose to go with Skype. Most people have heard that Skype to Skype is free, which is great, but for only $36/year we can make all of the outbound calls we want to landlines or cell phones. This will allow us to make necessary (or unnecessary) calls during the day without eating up our cellphone minutes. Yeah!

It's really easy to setup. First, you need internet access. Then you download the software. You'll need to get some type of device to talk - this could be a webcam, headset w/ microphone, or a VOIP phone. We went with the Phillips phone, because it is cordless and the base unit connects to our wireless router allowing us to use the phone even when our computers are turned off. So far, everything is working great - people we're calling don't even know we're using Skype.

We will try to take this system with us on the road when we get back out in the RV. I've read a lot of comments on Datastormusers and I realize that VOIP might be hit or miss because of the latency of the satellite dish. BUT, when you don't have cell service, I think we'd be happy to suffer with some lag time on a call then not to be able to speak to someone at all. But, for that we will just have to wait and see. Skype also has these cool WIFI phones that you can use at any HotSpot - unfortunately the reviews we've read were more negative than positive on these little phones. Perhaps next year they'll be better?

If we're happy with SkypePro (outbound calls), we might eventually upgrade to SkypeIn as well, which would give us an incoming phone number for people to call us like a regular phone line. Until then, everyone can just call our cell phones....or download Skype and call us FREE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

not to be a bummer but... VOIP sucks with satilite!!! We want to sell our datastorm!! We have had enough!!! 4 years on the road and it's time to let the big pipe dream go!!! i don't want to be the "Geinnie pig anymore"

Chris Guld said...

Don't look now, but you're 'outgeeking' us! I've used Instant Messenger with a microphone to talk to someone, but that's only computer to computer. We have seen people use Skype at Wi-Fi hotspots - and very successfully. However, we don't encourage it because it is a bandwidth hog and therefore, is detrimental to the other Wi-Fi users. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.
Call us :-)

Gina Parris said...

Wow, I stumbled on your blog when I searced for an image of Stuart Lake. Now that I'm nearly jealous of your vagabond lifestyle, I was wondering if I could use your Wenatchee hike pictures in my powerpoint slides for this talk I give on college campuses. It's called "Repack Your Backpack - How to Lose the Baggage and Live your dreams." My opening story is about taking that hike with a bunch of friends right out of college.(for the life of me, I can't find my own photos of it...18 years later!)
I'd be so happy if you could help me. You can learn more about me at www.myspace.com/ginaparris (or of course right here on blogger.)
Thanks a million.
-Gina